community.msgnetwork.com    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Sports Talk  Hop To Forums  NEW YORK METS    Mets sign 17 year old Aussie pitcher
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mets sign 17 year old Aussie pitcher Login/Join

General Manager
Picture of Metsareback
posted
From Metsblog:

Quote:

10:54 AM - Buzz: Mets ink 17-year old Aussie

...posted by Jason Mollica...
According to the website, Australian Baseball, the Mets have signed 17-year old pitcher Shaun Tabrett. Mets scout Tony Harris says about Tabrett, "With his long lanky body, good velocity and movement on his pitches we knew he was our man."

...i don't look at this as a major signing, but it shows the mets are "spanning the globe" for talent...

The plan is for Tabrett to head to spring training and extended spring training in Florida in March, then to travel to the Mets Academy in the Dominican Republic for about a month of intensive training.

...the hurler from down under...

...ok, maybe not...

Also..

Quote:

11:55 AM - Read: More on Tabrett

...posted by D.J. Short...
...i was super curious about this kid, so i did some digging, here's what i got...

According to this North Ryde RSL baseball club website, Shaun Tabrett is a righty-throwing pitcher, who at the time of the article was 6'4."

...of course, being only 17 years old, chances are he'll grow a bit more...man, do i feel old now...

Additionally, they call him "a hard throwing right handed pitcher" that clocks in around 89mph...

...couldn't do that when i was 17...on another website, i found a profile of tabrett where he stated his goal for the year was to hit 90mph on the gun...

...once again, not a major signing, but the buzz from the free agent/hot stove has turned into a barely audible whimper...sigh...

Not that big of a signing.But atleast we are "spanning the globe" for prospects

Posts: 11499 | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Immortal
posted Hide Post
His name sounds catchy!!

Posts: 15375 | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Major Leagues
Picture of CRiS
posted Hide Post
Hey not that big of a signing right now but in 5 years or more it could be terrific. Good sign that he can throw that hard right now, he could improve on velocity and arm strength with higher levels of training. Who knows maybe we'll have an Aussie pitcher throwing the the Aussie catcher Maat that we signed like 2 years ago.

Posts: 2892 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mets Board Pres
Picture of diehardfan718
posted Hide Post
Interesting signing... I didn't know Omar was part Aussie

Hmm, I wonder how vegemite goes with platanos

Posts: 41237 | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
General Manager
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Interesting signing... I didn't know Omar was part Aussie

Hmm, I wonder how vegemite goes with platanos

he must be part Austalian since he only signs those of his own race...

Posts: 8450 | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Immortal
posted Hide Post
I think his name was Pat(Patrick) Matt. But we also have Jesus Flores

Posts: 15375 | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post