community.msgnetwork.com    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Sports Talk  Hop To Forums  NEW YORK RANGERS    End of the lockout might be near.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

End of the lockout might be near. Login/Join

General Manager
Picture of Double R
posted
I am hopeful that this is concrete evidence that the lockout is nearing an end. Read on:

On Friday, Dan O'Neill, the NHL’s Vice President for Arena & Event Operations, sent a memo addressed to all "Arena Technical Coordinators, Video Goal Judges and Video Goal Technicians."

It contained – in stupefying details, to the layman – information about technical changes implemented for "the upcoming season," specifically mentioning that the NHL and NHLPA are continuing to work toward a resolution that, if reached, will necessitate that arena personnel are "ready to go."

An off-ice official that requested anonymity told Puck Daddy on Saturday that O’Neill’s email was “the first time all year” the officials have received this type of correspondence from the League.

Another factor for optimism: déjà vu. During the last shortened season, off-ice officials received a similar notice and the NHL was “playing games in less than two weeks," according to the source.

Posts: 6051 | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bystander
Picture of slapper
posted Hide Post
i sure as heck hope so double r.
with football season nearing a end and the giants not being in the playoffs i have no other sports fix at the moment.
i sure miss the week night games especially, they are what helps you get through the work week.

keeping my fingers crossed.

also did you ever get through to that board i put together?

being that i did not pay for a url you need to type it in as i posted in the other thread and it will take a few few days or so for it to show up in the zetaboards directory as well as any search engines.

but if you go right to the address directly it will bring you there.

i started the thing just for the msg crowd and that is why i used the same sections with all the teams hoping the whole crowd switches over to there.
anyone is welcome and it is not just the msg crowd.

i have the sign up settings on the lowest setting and there is no conformation email required, it is as easy as pie.

also, just so you or anyone knows the site is safe and free and there is nothing in it for me other then the hopes of the msg gang staying together if this place fails and i have all the settings in such a way that we do not have to worry about censorship.
the only restrictions are foul language and x-rated images and that is something that is built into the boards and i have no say in the matter of.
it will also allow all of us to do more things that we were not able to do here like sigs and stuff like that.
it is pretty much up and running and the only thing left to do is for people to start feeding it with posts.

hope to see as many of you there as possible so i am not left to talk to myself, ha ha ha.
but i will also be here until it shuts down if it does indeed shut down which i am pretty certain from the obvious signs that it will be shutting down.

when i woke up yesterday if you told me that i would have started a forum before the day was out i would have said you were crazy. i did so out of impulse because i recently had a couple other non sports related sites that i belonged to go the same route as msg and it really bothered me that i lost contact with all these people.

i know most of us do not really know much about each other personally but non the less after spending years going back and forth with each other it still feels as if we do and the bottom line is we all have the same common interest and that is all that matters.

Posts: 3234 | Registered: April 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Record Breaker
Picture of PG67
posted Hide Post
The latest news from Andrea Gross (as of Monday December 21, 2012)

quote:
With a hard deadline confirmed for either salvaging or scrapping what remains of the NHL season, labor negotiations resumed Monday with a more peaceful tone than last time and the anticipation of progress in today’s meetings.

The locked-out NHL Players Association presented the league with a counter-proposal to the NHL’s 288-page offer from Thursday.

Speaking to reporters outside the league offices in Manhattan, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman termed the NHLPA’s response “comprehensive” and said it would be reviewed overnight before the sides reconvened today around noon.

At the same time, Bettman confirmed publicly there was a Jan. 19 drop dead date to begin a 48-game season, which means a Jan. 11 deadline to reach a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Both Bettman and NHLPA Executive Director Don Fehr were short in their public comments Monday. The NHLPA Executive Board has until Wednesday to exercise its right to file a disclaimer of interest – the union would no longer represent the players, who would be free to pursue individual antitrust suits against the league – but Fehr said only the union was keeping its options open.

Fehr also would not comment on whether he thought the two sides were any closer to a deal to end the lockout, now in its 108th day, nor would he detail the NHLPA’s counter-proposal.

The sides were meeting face-to-face for the first time since acrimonious sessions that included federal mediators on Dec. 12-13.

Posts: 10063 | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Star
posted Hide Post
Am I alone in hoping there is no season now? They would try to cram a bunch of games into a short amount of time,then extend the playoffs into almost July, you'd have a bunch of guys trying to get into game condition in a short amount of time, all of this leading to injuries and sloppy play. And let's not kid ourselves, I, like many other Ranger fans, always thought the Devils short season Cup was jaded because it happened after a 48 game season, I wouldn't want a possible Rangers' Cup looked at the same way. It's January, time to wait for next year. I'll say this too, if they do end up playing, shame on anyone that lays down money to reward these greedy *******s.

Posts: 5680 | Registered: October 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Record Breaker
Picture of PG67
posted Hide Post
I agree with you, kc, on all points.

Cheers.

Cheers

Minor Leagues
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of with you too, but I'm also torn. It would be great to get to a few games, enjoy the show, see some buddies, check out the new upper bowl of the Garden (where we sit) but you're right, it would definitely be an "asterick" year for whoever wins the Cup (and our luck, this would be the year we win!). I agree absolutely with you on the injuries....every rush-back situation almost always involves pulled groins (can you image if Henrik pulls one, in a jam-packed shortened season?) so it's a tough call. Love the game, the Garden, the team, but maybe not in this situation.

Posts: 838 | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Star
posted Hide Post
To top it off I hear today that they are talking about adding an extra 4 playoff teams. What's next, make it like little league, don't keep score and give everyone trophies at the end of the year?? Here's a clue, if you can't finish in the top 8 of your conference, you don't deserve to keep playing, you deserve exactly what you get, an early tee time!!!

Posts: 5680 | Registered: October 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bystander
Picture of slapper
posted Hide Post
i was angry when we lost the season a few years ago and i still hold a grudge to some extent over it.
this time around i am equally as upset but at the same time hockey is the biggest sport for me and i have not been able to get my fix lately and the rangers are a big part of my household as well.

so my thought process is i will not pay to see any games and i will refrain from any merchandise purchases as well and about the only money the rangers will get out of me is by me paying my cable bill each month.
i know that is a big one for the owner but i got to pay that anyway whether there is hockey or not unless i change providers.

as for winning, just like anyone else i would prefer to do it by way of a full season. but, at the same time part of me says it's been so long that beggers can't be chooser's and i would take it over nothing.

Bystander
Picture of biz1006
posted Hide Post
I'm not buying any jerseys, shirts, hats, mugs, posters, whatever, for at least a year or two.

Unless we win the cup, in which case i will most definitely buy something.

KC, i heard those rumors as well and they are ridiculous. 50% of the teams already make the playoffs, how can any more possibly make it. There would be no point to having a regular season if 20/30 teams make the playoffs. What a joke that would be. I would imagine this scenario is highly unlikely though and there is no merit to this rumor.

Posts: 1147 | Registered: May 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Star
Picture of RZ Bure
posted Hide Post
Agree with kc but now I'm beginning to be fed up with the media coverage of all these talks. Today was supposed to be a major day and what happens? Nothing as usual. I kept refreshing websites like a fool after midnight. All the Pierre lebruns, Katie strange have all told me oh the lockout will end by this day, been hearing this for months now. The truth is everybody is clueless and this league is a joke. The NHL was nothing but a punch line in 2004 and it deserves to be for years.

Posts: 5322 | Registered: October 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bystander
Picture of slapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RZ Bure:
Agree with kc but now I'm beginning to be fed up with the media coverage of all these talks. Today was supposed to be a major day and what happens? Nothing as usual. I kept refreshing websites like a fool after midnight. All the Pierre lebruns, Katie strange have all told me oh the lockout will end by this day, been hearing this for months now. The truth is everybody is clueless and this league is a joke. The NHL was nothing but a punch line in 2004 and it deserves to be for years.

the sad part is today almost 9 years later they are not even a punch line.
hockey was never popular but at least back then it was popular enough to make fun of.

Record Breaker
Picture of PG67
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slapper:
quote:
Originally posted by RZ Bure:

the sad part is today almost 9 years later they are not even a punch line.
hockey was never popular but at least back then it was popular enough to make fun of.

Why is not enough for arenas to be filled with avid hockey fans?
Why is not enough to simply place teams in markets where hockey is popular?

GREED is the only answer, folks.
The NHL and Bettman have essentially expanded the business to "grow the sport" in non-hockey cities to non-hockey fans...

and this is the result!!!

I really do feel that it's as simple as that.

General Manager
posted Hide Post
the latest report says Bettman will cancel the season next week. at this point I say just do it. After all this optimism over the last couple of days and now this report? Hockey may never recover from this and its time Bettman is put out of a job Mad

Posts: 21313 | Registered: April 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bystander
Picture of slapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metsfan123:
the latest report says Bettman will cancel the season next week. at this point I say just do it. After all this optimism over the last couple of days and now this report? Hockey may never recover from this and its time Bettman is put out of a job Mad

i agree, if they are gonna end up canceling the season anyway they might as well just do it now and get it over with.
we have all stood by keeping tabs on this situation all this time and they keep stringing us along further wasting our time and getting our hopes up.

i hope the NHL and the PA realize they are not that important where we will jump when they say so or sit when they say so.

they are very misguided to believe that they as individuals are that important to us to where we would take this kind of nonsense.

my love is for the sport of hockey and the nhl fills that void because when they play they are the only real source to see the game easily and if we had other avenues of other leagues to watch we would probably be doing so and would care less about the nhl.

the biggest issue i see here other then them wasting our time is they are ruining the name and reputation to the entire sport regardless of what league it is.
the entire sport of hockey is getting a black eye because of these pillow biters.

just another classic case of what results from a union.

All Star
Picture of RZ Bure
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metsfan123:

Stop reading these so called reports. The hockey media is clueless.

Posts: 5322 | Registered: October 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post