community.msgnetwork.com    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Sports Talk  Hop To Forums  NEW YORK RANGERS    Game Thread: Rangers vs Flyers 1/24/13, 7pm
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game Thread: Rangers vs Flyers 1/24/13, 7pm Login/Join

General Manager
Picture of Double R
posted
This is going to be a very tough game I think and the Rangers had better be ready to play. The Flyers are home and they haven't won a game yet and I'm sure they are going to be in a nasty mood. We can't let them bully us or dictate the pace of this game. We have to be one step ahead of them for the entire 60 minutes and take the crowd out of the game. LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!

Hockey

Posts: 6104 | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bystander
Picture of TonyG
posted Hide Post
Couldn't agree with you more Double R>

It was a nice win by the Rangers last night, but they really only played one period of the Ranger Hockey of last season, where they took control of the puck with hard and furious fore checking. After that they kind of slowed down and at times, looked like they were skating in sand. It was great to be at MSG and get the win in OT. The place went wild. But there were times in the 2nd and 3rd periods when you were on the edge of your seat waiting for the Rangers to give up the lead. They started to lay back and let the Bruins take control. Bottom line we got the very needed win and 2 pts. But I am not jumping up and down yet. Except for the D pair of McDonagh and Girardi, the D really has been terrible.

As far as tonight's game goes. Flyers at home are desperate for a win and really cannot afford to lose 4 in a row. So you can expect them to come out flying and very, very physical. Rangers have to be up for this. I hope Asham is able to play. One thing I just can't understand. Boyle is such a big kid, and just can't handle the rough stuff like you would think a big Irishman would. He surely is not a fighter when he drops the gloves. And for a big Irish kid, that is pretty much unheard of. Head Bang

What I am afraid of is that after last nights game where it seemed the Rangers lost some of their legs after a fast and furious 1st period, what do they have left for tonight. Yes it's the same for all the teams in this lock out season, but too play Torts type of game, you can't get ready in the amount of time they had to start the season. Each game is like a conditioning period for the Rangers.

One thing in our favor is that on paper we are a much stronger team especially in goal. But we still have not got the all important Power Play working. I mean they couldn't even get a shot on goal with a 2 man advantage. This is the most frustrating part of this Ranger team for years. We really haven't had a good power play since 94 with Mess and Gavey. But with the addition of Nash the PP should start to click and lets hope it starts tonight. Nash is getting alot of shots on goal and sooner then later they are all going to light up the Red Light.

So if the Rangers can get through the first period and maybe score the first goal, I think we will come out with a win.

LETS GO RANGERS.

Posts: 5481 | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bystander
Picture of biz1006
posted Hide Post
Flyer's will be desperate tonight, but they are banged up with injuries. The Rangers are not as rested, but they built up some momentum last night and hopefully it carries over. I think the Rangers will win tonight and I am excited for the game since I was unable to watch last nights win.

I expect it to be a battle tonight. Looks like Shelly is dressing for the Flyers and Newbury has been called up in case Asham can't go, or maybe if Asham can go Kreider sits tonight instead.

Posts: 1159 | Registered: May 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Star
posted Hide Post
Gotta be worried about the energy level tonight, second night of back to back and Rangers had 6 guys play less than ten minutes last night. Flyers haven't played in a few days, at least they won't have Hartnell and Schenn.
Looks like Kreider won't play. I know he hasn't played well, but fielding a lineup with Stu Bickel at forward and Kris Newbury over Kreider just doesn't make sense to me.

Posts: 5709 | Registered: October 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bystander
Picture of TonyG
posted Hide Post
Kreider not being in the lineup after some bad games is the right thing to do.

It's Torts way of letting this kid watch and learn. Torts knows this kid could be the real thing, but he can't live on the 5 goals he scored in the playoffs. He has to be made accountable like everyone else. Torts knows exactly what he is doing. He did the same thing to Derek Stepan when he first came up and scored a hat trick against Buffalo in his first game. After that he stunk up the ice for a few games and Torts benched him and then Stepan turned his game around.

Kreider is a young kid with much to learn. And sometimes these young kids need exactly what Torts is doing. Torts is one heck of a coach and he knows how to bring these young kids along. The kid is struggling and needs time to re group. Why let him lose confidence in himself by making more mistakes on the ice that could hurt the team. Let him sit and think and learn by watching the game and videos on the rights and wrongs in the system Torts demands. This is called good coaching. If Torts could bench Gabby when he screws up, why not the young kid. Accountability is what its all about. And Torts plays no favorites. He knows what he is doing with this kid. And Torts knows how to deal with the young talent.

It makes all the sense in the world to me.

All Star
posted Hide Post
quote:
And Torts plays no favorites

Decent post tony, and then you had to ruin it with that hilarious bit of stupidity.

Bystander
Picture of TonyG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kc1313:
quote:
And Torts plays no favorites

Decent post tony, and then you had to ruin it with that hilarious bit of stupidity.

And what is that KC. Can you give me and example of how Torts plays favorites and doesn't make a player accountable when he should be? I have seen Torts let Richards warn the bench because of poor play. I've see Torts let Gabby warm the bench because of poor play. I've see Staal warm the bench because of poor play, I've seen Boyle warm the bench because of poor play I seen Del Zotto send down to the minors because of poor play. So you give me and the rest of the Ranger Fans on the board an example of Torts playing favorites and prove to me that it was hilarios bit of stupidity, because you just proved again, that you are a world of wortless information.

Major Leagues
posted Hide Post
First things first..............LETS GO RANGERS! Had to get that out.

Now......I just hope they come out with same energy and style of play they took to Boston in the first period last night. That was fun to watch and reminded me of how they played for the better part of last season. If they play like that, they will take care of Philly. However, if they play slow and don't bring the pysical game with them, a desperate Flyer team will beat them.

As far as Kreider, Newbury, Asham, ect., ect.,....I don't think it matters to much because Torts will be playing the top 8 or 9 forwards the majority of the game anyway. If Bickel plays wing he may see the ice for 4 or 5 minuets of the game, same for Newbury or Asham. As Tort's said after the game..."we have to win". I think that's his way of telling 4th line guys, don't expect lots of icetime.

The one place it will matter is if the Flyer's decide to make fights a priority and dress Shelley. If that's the case, then we need Bickel and Newbury dressed and Kreider in the stands. Rupp owes Shelley a little payback after last years beatdown too, I just hope he has it in him. Hopefully, its a clean game and we can come away with a regulation win and keep the Flyers exactly where they belong...in the basement.

As for our powerplay.........my god is it awful. How they can have a two man advantage and not even get a shot on goal is amazing, but to give up scoring chances up two men is just pathetic. It's to bad you can't decline a penalty in hockey like you can in football, because it almost seems like the Rangers are better off playing 5 on 5.

In any case....on more time..........LETS GO RANGERS!

Posts: 2682 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Star
posted Hide Post
Did you see Nash on the bench after lolligagging it Sun night? Rcihards for his coiuntless defensive faux pas? Do you ever see Rupp in the pressbox even though he rarely ever contributes? BTW, warming the bench, give me a break, getting sat for two shifts to light a fire under someone's ash is not warming the bench.
He most certainly plays favorites, every coach does, a star player is always on a longer leash than a mediocre player, it's the way it's been forever, and it always will be.

All Star
posted Hide Post
Delneggs, the Flyers got their collective ashes handed to them last year when they tried to goon it up against the Rangers, you think they are going to try to change it up? The Shelley thing says no.

Bystander
Picture of TonyG
posted Hide Post
I really think our power play will get much better. Nash brings it to a whole new level of play. They just have to click on the same page. Too much talent on the PP not to be a threat.

As you can see in the past games, Nash really opens up the ice for Gabby. They really key on Nash when both of them are on the ice together and when Nash goes to the net, he is very hard to move. But I agree that tonights game could really get nasty.

General Manager
posted Hide Post
This won't be an easy game to win, Philly hasn't won a game yet and we beat them every time last year. we need our top line to produce again and hope Hank can bounce back after a so so game last night

Posts: 21318 | Registered: April 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Major Leagues
posted Hide Post
KC....the Flyers need something to change the momentum after starting 0-3 and they are home, so it isn't unreasonable to think they would dress Shelley and have him try to provide that spark with his fists. Maybe....maybe not. I have a feeling we will know about 10 seconds into the game.

Posts: 2682 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Major Leagues
posted Hide Post
Yike! Slow start for the Rangers. I hope they pick it up soon.

Posts: 2058 | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Star
posted Hide Post
Great setup by Girardi... Newbury had a nice shift playing well along the boards and getting a pass to open guy on point for a shooting lane.

Posts: 3823 | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post