community.msgnetwork.com    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Sports Talk  Hop To Forums  NEW YORK RANGERS    Report: Matt Gilroy signs with the Whale
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Report: Matt Gilroy signs with the Whale Login/Join

Sports Fan
posted
Larry Brooks as per twitter is saying that the Whale have signed Matt Gilroy, and then he will presumably sign with the Rangers when the lockout ends.
After seeing who the Rangers have on D down on the farm, I think this move was needed. I always liked Gilroy, and when the season does start(trying to stay positive) I think this will pay dividends. Brooks is also saying that this in no way is a message to Del Zotto. Take it for where it comes from.

Posts: 455 | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Record Breaker
Picture of PG67
posted Hide Post
Hhhmmm, that's interesting.

Posts: 10139 | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sports Fan
posted Hide Post
On the side note about Del Zotto: In my opinion, I think it has been Sather's plan all along to not sign him until the new CBA is negotiated. From what I've read: changing the length of entry level contracts, and the owners negotiating parameters within that time period has been a hot topic of discussion. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite us.

Posts: 455 | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bystander
Picture of biz1006
posted Hide Post
Can't hurt to let Gilroy play for the Whale during the lockout. He had a few games where he showed some promise. He could be a decent player one day, but for now he just adds a bit of depth.

Posts: 1159 | Registered: May 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Leagues
Picture of mikemart
posted Hide Post
take him over strallman and emminger any day. Hopefully he gets a second chance and a better look the second time around...

Posts: 1011 | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Record Breaker
Picture of PG67
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikemart:
take him over Strallman and Emminger any day. Hopefully he gets a second chance and a better look the second time around...

Really? I recall him being a bit timid, physically. Stralman and Emminger have both played much more tough than Gilroy every was.

All Star
posted Hide Post
quote:
better look the second time around...

What are you talking about? Gilroy has had 3 looks in the past year and a half if you count the teams he's been on. This is his 4th. move in the same amount of time. There are better choices out there. And Stralman is definitely one of them.

Posts: 5798 | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Major Leagues
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PG67:
quote:
take him over Strallman and Emminger any day. Hopefully he gets a second chance and a better look the second time around...

Really? I recall him being a bit timid, physically. Stralman and Emminger have both played much more tough than Gilroy every was.

Agreed....he is just an insurance policy. He wont play ahead of Stralman and its doubtful he would be ahead of Emminger

Posts: 1370 | Registered: January 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Leagues
Picture of mikemart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NYRfan16:
quote:
better look the second time around...

What are you talking about? Gilroy has had 3 looks in the past year and a half if you count the teams he's been on. This is his 4th. move in the same amount of time. There are better choices out there. And Stralman is definitely one of them.

2nd time around with nyr and no Stralman definitely isn't one of them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mikemart,

Minor Leagues
Picture of mikemart
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Don't think gilroy was ever signed for his physical prowess, definitely a puck mover who joins in. He brought a lot of attention because he was a hobey baker winner. As usual with tortorella if you're young and don't play right away like you're a ten year vet you're out. He might not ever make the roster here but he's worth a look. If emminger and Stralman are the "tough D" then we're in trouble.

Record Breaker
Picture of PG67
posted Hide Post
quote:
If emminger and Stralman are the "tough D" then we're in trouble.

Well...I can't argue with that. Hopefully Sauer will be healthy...and perhaps Dylan McGilrath.

Minor Leagues
Picture of mikemart
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well...I can't argue with that. Hopefully Sauer will be healthy...and perhaps Dylan McGilrath.

The whole point being, it can't hurt to give him another look. If he doesn't develop into what they want he'll be gone, it's not like he is Marek Malik or some other some other bag of pucks who was allowed to hang around way too long...

All Star
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

The whole point being, it can't hurt to give him another look. If he doesn't develop into what they want he'll be gone, it's not like he is Marek Malik or some other some other bag of pucks who was allowed to hang around way too long...

I know it's his second time round with the rangers. The point I tried to make is that 2 other teams picked him up, gave him a shot, and now doesn't play for either one of them. Why?

Minor Leagues
Picture of Ritcher35
posted Hide Post
I went to both CT Whale games this weekend, and Gilroy was the best defenseman out there.

I know thats necessarily not saying a whole lot, but he skated well and shot the puck well. Still not overly agressive, but he looked confident.

Posts: 1086 | Registered: November 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Star
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ritcher35:
I went to both CT Whale games this weekend, and Gilroy was the best defenseman out there.

I know thats necessarily not saying a whole lot, but he skated well and shot the puck well. Still not overly agressive, but he looked confident.

The man can play. There is no denying that. I wish him well. Oh, Good to have the real Richter 35 back.