community.msgnetwork.com    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Sports Talk  Hop To Forums  NEW YORK RANGERS    DelZotto
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DelZotto Login/Join

Sports Fan
Picture of NYRiceman
posted
Looking to sign for 3 million per year. Thoughts?

Staal, Marc » $3,975,000

Girardi, Dan » $3,325,000

McDonagh, Ryan » $1,300,000

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NYRiceman,

Posts: 445 | Registered: February 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bystander
Picture of biz1006
posted Hide Post
3 mill seems a lot

Posts: 1148 | Registered: May 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
General Manager
Picture of Double R
posted Hide Post
I like DelZotto, but $3 mil per year for his services is a bit steep.

Posts: 6055 | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Record Breaker
Picture of PG67
posted Hide Post
Well...looking at those salaries above...
If I were Sather, I'd give MDZ 2 million per. But I wouldn't want to lose him either. Max? 2.5

Posts: 10065 | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bystander
Picture of biz1006
posted Hide Post
DZ is still restricted, so he does not have much bargaining power. He will probably get signed for around 2 mil - 2.3 mil. I just hope the deal is done soon so he does not miss training camp.

Bystander
Picture of slapper
posted Hide Post
i don't think he is quite worth 3 mil yet and i think 2 mil for a couple years would be a good deal until he proves he is worth the larger cash.

Posts: 3239 | Registered: April 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Star
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NYRiceman:
Looking to sign for 3 million per year. Thoughts?

Staal, Marc » $3,975,000

Girardi, Dan » $3,325,000

McDonagh, Ryan » $1,300,000

Let's not jump so quick to conclusions. I don't think that's too bad, but no more than that. Check out these numbers for last year. I don't know enough about the market for D-men, but if you guys name some players that are comparable to him, I'll look up their salaries.

Check this out. Del Zotto ranked #5 on points on the ENTIRE team last season behind Gabby, Richards, Cally, Stepan in that order. Here are his stats versus the other D-men. I didn't bother any further after Stralman.

Del Zotto: 77 GP 10G 31A
McDonagh: 82 GP 7G 25A
Girardi: 82 GP 5G 24A
Stralman: 53 GP 2G 16A

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/te...on=2011_2&qualified=

This message has been edited. Last edited by: d3xd3x,

Posts: 3811 | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Star
posted Hide Post
Here are last year's playoff stats... once again, DZ was 5th overall on the team in points.

Richards: 20 GP 6 G 9 A
Girardi: 20 GP 3 G 9 A
Gaborik: 20 GP 5 G 6 A
Cally: 20 GP 6 G 4 A
Del Zotto:20 GP 2 G 8 A
Artie: 20 GP 3 G 7 A
Stepan: 20 GP 1 G 8 A

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/te...on=2011_3&qualified=

Sports Fan
Picture of NYRiceman
posted Hide Post
he was also a plus 20 and averaged just over 22 minutes per games

Bystander
Picture of biz1006
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one still haunted by the multiple DelZotto turnovers this past Eastern Conference Final? I don't care how many points he had he is not on the same level as Girardi or Staal, at least not yet, and doesn't deserve to be paid like it.

All Star
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biz1006:
Am I the only one still haunted by the multiple DelZotto turnovers this past Eastern Conference Final? I don't care how many points he had he is not on the same level as Girardi or Staal, at least not yet, and doesn't deserve to be paid like it.

I do recall that. If you're going to evaluate a player based only on what he does in playoffs, then we should have went after Sean Bergenheim and Joel Ward really hard when they were free agents because they went bananas in the postseason, but we didn't do that did we? We went after Rick Nash because of his proven success in the regular season and many of us really liked acquisition. I think he's only played in one losing playoff series in his career.

Another thing, the best way to make a good deal with a player is to sign him to an extension before he reaches his peak because otherwise, you'll end up overpaying for him versus getting him while he's still undervalued. In your paragraph Biz, you even say "at least not YET" which means you at least believe Del Zotto can become even better. He also brings a clearly different skill set than Girardi / Staal. They are supposed to be shutdown defensemen (Staal has shown random flashes, but I really doubt he's the 2nd coming of Leetch). Del Zotto is supposed to be the good skater with offensive skills.

Bystander
Picture of slapper
posted Hide Post
yes, but let's say we give him 3 mil a year for 4 or 5 years and then he comes out and does a duby?

just for the fact that he is playing hardball over a half a mil and the offer he got is fair it will only come back to haunt him and put 10X's the pressure on him when he is under performing.

in sports it rarely ever works out when a athlete plays hardball with his contract even if he gets what he wants it is like a jinx.

if i were him i would take the 2.5 mil that slats offered for two years and come back and bust my butt and force sather to re work the contract by his stellar play after the season.

there are a lot of good teams in the league right now but he is currently on one of the top 5 promising teams in the league and why take the chance in possibly ending up in columbus like duby and arty did.

i know they got traded for nash and it is a totally different scenario but anything is possible and the higher your salary is and you don't perform, it is out the door you go.

i also personally thought the initial offer was pretty good and is most definitely a significant pay raise for DZ.
i would have thought slats would offer a lot less and considering the new cba will greatly effect contracts maybe DZ should have tried to get something done a little sooner.

Sports Fan
Picture of NYRiceman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slapper:
yes, but let's say we give him 3 mil a year for 4 or 5 years and then he comes out and does a duby?

just for the fact that he is playing hardball over a half a mil and the offer he got is fair it will only come back to haunt him and put 10X's the pressure on him when he is under performing.

in sports it rarely ever works out when a athlete plays hardball with his contract even if he gets what he wants it is like a jinx.

if i were him i would take the 2.5 mil that slats offered for two years and come back and bust my butt and force sather to re work the contract by his stellar play after the season.

there are a lot of good teams in the league right now but he is currently on one of the top 5 promising teams in the league and why take the chance in possibly ending up in columbus like duby and arty did.

i know they got traded for nash and it is a totally different scenario but anything is possible and the higher your salary is and you don't perform, it is out the door you go.

i also personally thought the initial offer was pretty good and is most definitely a significant pay raise for DZ.
i would have thought slats would offer a lot less and considering the new cba will greatly effect contracts maybe DZ should have tried to get something done a little sooner.

where did you read Slats offered him 2.5 and DelZotto was playing hardball for 3 mil?In the interview I read with DelZotto, which was written on Monday, he simply said they were working on getting a deal done. The story also said DZ's agent would meet with him Monday, and with Slats on Tuesday.Since the article was posted 6:53 pm on Monday, I assume the meetings are next week? He can't be signed until after Sunday the 13th.

Bystander
Picture of slapper
posted Hide Post
the article i read was a small one paragraph tidbit that was mostly updating on the talks with dizzy and slats.

hardball might have been a little excessive but from what it said he was offered around the proximity of 2.5 mil and he wanted 3 mil.

it did not say if it was from talks in the summer or recently and it also clearly stated that the two sides are working on it and it is not a take it or leave it situation.

the low and the high of those two offers is right in the area of what someone of his skill set would get.

2.5 mil is not a low ball offer and 3 mil is not a gross over payment.
i personally would like to see around 2.5 for 2 yrs and it would be a safe and fair deal for both sides as well as give dizzy some time to better his game and get a even better deal down the line.

i would be happy either way and god knows we have spent more for less but with the current cba it gives us wiggle room this year but next year things get tight and a million bucks is a million bucks.
plus we will more then likely have to burn a compliance buyout on redden unless slats can work his magic and unless they get any takers this year i can not see the rangers not opting to get out of that deal first chance they get.
they would probably do that right now if the cba allowed it, but unfortunately that is not till next year.

i believe i read that in either TSN or hfboards in the delzotto thread.
and most of the information was from a quoted tweet from someone with knowledge of whats going on and the primary concern was not so much the money but delaying him from getting time with the team with the short training camp.

normally i think 500k would not be such a problem or even news but i think slats is trying to keep it as low as possible in anticipation for next year as well as in a couple years we will have some more players to resign.

the way i see it is he is only 22 and even if he got big money it is only gonna be a 2 year deal and it certainly will not be his last contract and considering he is on a team that is a contender and he is already established, why rock the boat?

there also has to be some truth to it because if not it would have been done over the summer.

Sports Fan
Picture of NYRiceman
posted Hide Post
Next year mcdonaugh, stepan, and hagelin will be RFA's and due a raise. According to cap geek the team will have 6,883,333 in cap space next year minus whatever DZ gets for a salary this year. Sauer will also be an RFA but considering he won't play this year I would assume that would be a non issue. Eminger and Halpern would be UFA's but that also should be a non issue, they could be replaced for equal or even resigned for the same since they aren't top quality players to begin with. It will be tight unless Slats can get rid of Rupp and save some money there.I think whatever he gives DZ he would be better to get as many years as reasonable without being too long term. the kid is 22 and should only get better thereby demanding more money down the road.If Redden gets bought out it gives Slats another 5,600,000 in cap space next year so he is in pretty good shape

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NYRiceman,