community.msgnetwork.com    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Sports Talk  Hop To Forums  NEW YORK RANGERS    The NY Rangers the way I saw things last night at MSG
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The NY Rangers the way I saw things last night at MSG Login/Join

Bystander
Picture of TonyG
posted
Not the game we were looking for at MSG last night for the home opener. The place was rocking and the electricity was at an all time high. But the Rangers let their fans down. Sloppy, slow and out of sync. The one bright spot is that you can tell Nash is for real and this guy is going to be what the Rangers needed. Rangers have to get on the same page, and right now they are not. But it will come.

I can live with losing the first 2 games of the season but there are some things I cannot live with. First thing is that Asham gave himself up for the team and the fans right off the start of the game, and I take my hat off to him and he has my respect. But the Ranger Team did not pick him up. They did not follow his lead. And that's not exceptable.

Second thing and most important to me is, how many times are the Rangers as a team going to let one of their young guys like Kreider get nailed by Brooks Orpik, who we all know is a nasty player and do nothing about it. I don't care if it was a clean hit or not, it was a hit to knock him out of the game and the kid lays the on the ice and not one Ranger that was on the ice went after Orpik. When are we going to learn. First it was Sauer, then Staal, then Boyle and now Kreider. All those guys were knocked out of games and hurt bad and no one on this Ranger Team did nothing about it when it happen.

I am sick and tired of the lack of retaliation for something like this. We play these guys again and this Ranger Team better go after Orpik. But will they? Asham showed he is a team player and is a Ranger now. Where the heck was the rest of this team when Kreider got nailed.

I am very disappointed in losing two games in a row, but I am disgusted in the lack of retaliation by teammates when a young kid like Kreider gets nailed and no one does anything about it. Don't they see what happen to Sauer. When are they going to send a message to other teams that we will not stand for this? Mad Mad

Posts: 4937 | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Record Breaker
Picture of PG67
posted Hide Post
I agree with you, Tony. Even if it was a clean hit (which it was), the game was 5-1 late in the 3rd. Where was the anger at Orpik? With the outcome pretty much decided, they had nothing to lose and everything to gain by going after him. All this talk about the team being close-knit should have been applied to that moment of Kreider laying on the ice!!!
==============================================
Torts made a similar comment after the game as you...While he thought the hit on Kreider was clean, he ALSO stated that after Asham's battle with Glass, his teammates didn't back him up.

Posts: 9652 | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Record Breaker
Picture of PG67
posted Hide Post
quote:
When are we going to learn. First it was Sauer, then Staal, then Boyle and now Kreider. All those guys were knocked out of games and hurt bad and no one on this Ranger Team did nothing about it when it happen.

Kreider is one of the major points of discussion when it comes to the talent on this team. There's NO EXCUSE for his teammates to just stand there and do absolutely nothing. If I were the coaches, I'd show that video over and over and show them what kind of p ussies they chose to be in that moment. As a coach, if there's a time to have a temper tantrum, this would be that time.

Bystander
Picture of TonyG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PG67:
quote:
When are we going to learn. First it was Sauer, then Staal, then Boyle and now Kreider. All those guys were knocked out of games and hurt bad and no one on this Ranger Team did nothing about it when it happen.

Kreider is one of the major points of discussion when it comes to the talent on this team. There's NO EXCUSE for his teammates to just stand there and do absolutely nothing. If I were the coaches, I'd show that video over and over and show them what kind of p ussies they chose to be in that moment. As a coach, if there's a time to have a temper tantrum, this would be that time.
As always PG 2 great post all with great points. If we can see this why can't the players see it. Confused

Record Breaker
Picture of PG67
posted Hide Post
Maybe they saw it coming - because Kreider's head was down? So, it's partially his own 'fault'?
Maybe that's why they didn't go after Orpik?

But still...at that point, the game was out of reach and his teammates should've had his back.

The hit on Staal by his brother was technically clean, too. And that knocked him out for a long time. But this is really not about a hitting debate - clean or otherwise. It's about the Rangers HITTING BACK and letting the teams throughout the league know that they will not be f ucked with. It's that simple. They dropped the ball in that regard last night.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PG67,

Record Breaker
Picture of PG67
posted Hide Post
For further review, here's the hit.

It's 100% clean in my view. It's really a great hit.

BUT...what if Crosby was hit just like that? Do think his teammates would've stood there? I really doubt it.

All Star
Picture of Double R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PG67:
For further review, here's the hit.

It's 100% clean in my view. It's really a great hit.

BUT...what if Crosby was hit just like that? Do think his teammates would've stood there? I really doubt it.

Absolutely. Just because it was technically a clean hit, that doesn't mean it wasn't deserving of some sort of response from the Rangers. One of our guys should have been on Orpik immediately after that hit.

Posts: 5564 | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bystander
Picture of TonyG
posted Hide Post
Look PG hit it right on the head when he said we always hear about what a close knit team this is. We can go back to when Carcillo was pounding our number 1 star player Gaborik, and no one when in there to protect him. I have the center ice package and watch many hockey games. This does not happen with other teams. You hit someone like Orpik hit Kreider and the entire team on the ice goes after you. Not with the Rangers. Why? I still can't figure that out. We can go back to when Dave Schultz destroyed Dale Rolfes career.

Asham first time on the ice, tried to sent a message to his teammates and the fans to let them know he's got their back. What good did it do him.

Record Breaker
Picture of PG67
posted Hide Post
...and you know what? If any of the Rangers go after Orpik during their next game, it wouldn't be the same. Too late!!!
I just don't understand their lack of reaction-time to stuff like this? The kid's 20 years old and hyped to be a superstar.
And they stand there and do NOTHING? Confused
It's really beyond my comprehension. That's not the player I would be, that's for sure.

I'm glad we got Nash. The guy's a beast.
But we lost some energy and passion with Dubinsky and Prust gone.
But the season's very young.
Hopefully this will wake them up a bit.

All Star
Picture of Double R
posted Hide Post
By the way, any word on what happened to Kreider? Was his bell just temporarily rung or is he still having residual effects from the hit?

Record Breaker
Picture of PG67
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Double R:
By the way, any word on what happened to Kreider? Was his bell just temporarily rung or is he still having residual effects from the hit?

Good question. I browsed online a bit this morning, trying to find something on this, but I couldn't find anything at all.
So...I guess he's OK. Let's hope so.

Pope

All Star
posted Hide Post
Trust me. The rangers will go after Orpik and he will have to answer the bell. In the old days you didn't go after anyone after a hit like that. You took his number and exacted revenge later in the season. You of all people should know that Tony. Heck, it was a four on four situation. If you want to blame someone that's okay, but not the team. It was right in front of Boyle and he did a good job of ignoring what happened, but I don't want Boyle taking on Orpik. He'd get his a$$ kicked. I'd rather wait until Asham or Bickle had a chance. Notice I didn't mention Brandon Rupp. You know, the guy who hasn't won any fights in the last year and a half.

Posts: 5084 | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Star
Picture of Double R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NYRfan16:
Trust me. The rangers will go after Orpik and he will have to answer the bell. In the old days you didn't go after anyone after a hit like that. You took his number and exacted revenge later in the season. You of all people should know that Tony. Heck, it was a four on four situation. If you want to blame someone that's okay, but not the team. It was right in front of Boyle and he did a good job of ignoring what happened, but I don't want Boyle taking on Orpik. He'd get his a$$ kicked. I'd rather wait until Asham or Bickle had a chance. Notice I didn't mention Brandon Rupp. You know, the guy who hasn't won any fights in the last year and a half.

I disagree with practically everything you said. The time to exact revenge on another player is immediately after the incident happens, not the next time the two teams meet. It's not like the Rangers were in a close game and had to be careful of taking a penalty. The game was basically over, so there was no excuse for that shameful lack of a response from the Rangers. None. And what is this crap that 'Boyle did a good job of ignoring what happened'. Really??? His teammate gets knocked on his face and Boyle did a good job by ignoring it? As far as not wanting Boyle to take on Orpik, it's not about who would win the fight it's about the willingness for teammates to stand up for each other. That's what a team is supposed to do. Get it? (And by the way, who the hell is Brandon Rupp?)

Bystander
Picture of TonyG
posted Hide Post
I was just watching the Senators, Panters game and Elleby from the Panters nails Sack Smith with a clean nasty hard hit into the boards and Smith goes down. As soon as it happens, A Senator Player comes flying and starts punching the Shet out of Elleby. Thats the way it is done, not 2 games later, not the next period, now right when it happens. And thats what should have happen to Orbik. Head Bang

All Star
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Double R:
quote:
Originally posted by NYRfan16:

I disagree with practically everything you said. The time to exact revenge on another player is immediately after the incident happens, not the next time the two teams meet. It's not like the Rangers were in a close game and had to be careful of taking a penalty. The game was basically over, so there was no excuse for that shameful lack of a response from the Rangers. None. And what is this crap that 'Boyle did a good job of ignoring what happened'. Really??? His teammate gets knocked on his face and Boyle did a good job by ignoring it? As far as not wanting Boyle to take on Orpik, it's not about who would win the fight it's about the willingness for teammates to stand up for each other. That's what a team is supposed to do. Get it? (And by the way, who the hell is Brandon Rupp?)

I don't need to get anything RR. We just happen to disagree. Due to your anger, it's pretty obvious you missed my attempt to be humorous. I was being sarcastic when I mentioned that Boyle did a pretty good job of ignoring what happened. It wasn't because I was praising him. I was glad that he didn't go after orpik and I still stand by it so get over it. My reference about Brandon Rupp has to with a long debate I had with Tony about Prust and his fighting majors. WE have all had the misfortune of watching Mike Rupp lose the majority of his fights. I certainly don't want Rupp to take on Orpik and watch him lose again. I want someone who can inflict bodily harm and Rupp and or Boyle are not the guys. Why don't you watch the replay and check out Boyle pretending he didn't see what happened. Then you might understand my sarcastic dig on Boyle. Let's say Boyle went after Orpik. Well then kudoes for Boyle, but there are many who would say there we go again.
Another good hit followed by a player taking exception to it. Those people would be non ranger fans I suppose. Anyway, lighten up. I'm just teasing Tony a little about his old takes on Brandon prust and his fights. I think all of us on this board with the exception of a few miss Brandon Prust. In regards to your last take. There have been many rangers who decided not to stick up for their teammates over the years. Vic hadfield and Dan Girardi come to mind. Who received the flak for that. Yes, both players did. So when you guys spew off about the rangers not coming to Kreider's defense be specific about who your upset with.

Posts: 5084 | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post