community.msgnetwork.com    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Sports Talk  Hop To Forums  NEW YORK RANGERS    20 Years Ago Today......
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 Years Ago Today...... Login/Join

Major Leagues
Picture of Paulzzy
posted
Manon Rheaume became the first woman ever to play in an NHL game.

What bothers me about this is that headline, and the fact that it was nothing more than a publicity stunt by Phil Esposito to draw attention to the new (at the time) team in Tampa. Anyone who believes that a woman can play in the NHL has rocks in his or her head.

Rheaume had created a buzz earlier as the first woman ever to play in a major junior A league game. I may have this wrong here as this was long ago, but I think she was actually playing for a junior C team in Quebec when the local QMJHL team needed an emergency backup goalie. Assuming the backup wasn't going to play, they took her rather than pull a goalie off the local Jr. B team. Then the starting goalie got hurt and they had no choice but to put her in.

I don't think she ever played another game in the QMJHL before Espo's huckster/showman side got the better of him.

Has anyone else ever heard that side of the story? Again I can't say it's 100 percent accurate.

Apparently she played in 24 minor league games over 5 years-for SEVEN different teams.

IMO- she was never more than a sideshow, but that gets lost over time.

Revisionist history. Yuk

Posts: 2595 | Registered: November 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Star
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paulzzy:

What bothers me about this is that headline, and the fact that it was nothing more than a publicity stunt by Phil Esposito to draw attention to the new (at the time) team in Tampa. Anyone who believes that a woman can play in the NHL has rocks in his or her head.

Rheaume had created a buzz earlier as the first woman ever to play in a major junior A league game. I may have this wrong here as this was long ago, but I think she was actually playing for a junior C team in Quebec when the local QMJHL team needed an emergency backup goalie. Assuming the backup wasn't going to play, they took her rather than pull a goalie off the local Jr. B team. Then the starting goalie got hurt and they had no choice but to put her in.

I don't think she ever played another game in the QMJHL before Espo's huckster/showman side got the better of him.

Has anyone else ever heard that side of the story? Again I can't say it's 100 percent accurate.

Apparently she played in 24 minor league games over 5 years-for SEVEN different teams.

Revisionist history. Yuk

I still have her hockey cards. Are they worth anything?

Posts: 5539 | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Star
Picture of Double R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paulzzy:

Revisionist history. Yuk

I agree 100%. She had absolutely no business being in the league. As you said, the only reason she was there was for reasons that had nothing to do with hockey abilities (or lack thereof). What's really a shame is that we're stuck talking about trivial nonsense like this instead of talking about the Rangers and the upcoming season. END THE LOCKOUT ALREADY AND LET'S PLAY SOME DAMN HOCKEY!!!!

Mad

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Double R,

Posts: 5934 | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Star
Picture of RZ Bure
posted Hide Post
No jokes about Crosby??

Posts: 5240 | Registered: October 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post