community.msgnetwork.com    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Sports Talk  Hop To Forums  NEW YORK RANGERS    LOCKOUT: This may get the ball rolling
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOCKOUT: This may get the ball rolling Login/Join

Spectator
Picture of messaround
posted
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/...-171625394--nhl.html

Let's hope. Offer expires in 10 days.

Posts: 1169 | Registered: August 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bystander
Picture of slapper
posted Hide Post
there is no reason in the world the players should not except this offer and get the wheels in motion for a full 82 game season.
i will be hugely upset if they don't jump on this and don't really see no reason why a 50/50 split on revenue proposed by the owners is not fair for both sides.

if the nhlpa turns this down they will come off as the ***hats.

Posts: 3345 | Registered: April 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectator
Picture of messaround
posted Hide Post
I think that's exactly why the NHL made this offer. They have been losing the PR war this time around. It's a starting point, if nothing else. And I'm sure the NHL realizes that if this goes any longer, the salary cap could become an issue. Let's see if they can build on this.

Posts: 1169 | Registered: August 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bystander
Picture of biz1006
posted Hide Post
great news! finally some progress and a reason for hope. hopefully we will be talking Rangers hockey here in a couple of weeks.

Posts: 1178 | Registered: May 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectator
Picture of Moonbeam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biz1006:
great news! finally some progress and a reason for hope. hopefully we will be talking Rangers hockey here in a couple of weeks.

---------------------------------

Instead of Random Words!! Razzer

Posts: 150 | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Major Leagues
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slapper:
there is no reason in the world the players should not except this offer and get the wheels in motion for a full 82 game season.
i will be hugely upset if they don't jump on this and don't really see no reason why a 50/50 split on revenue proposed by the owners is not fair for both sides.

My sentiments exactly. I have my fingers crossed and hope to be looking at Rick Nash in a Ranger uniform. Gaborik shouldn't be too far away from coming back as well.

Posts: 2078 | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bystander
Picture of slapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22nicky:
quote:

My sentiments exactly. I have my fingers crossed and hope to be looking at Rick Nash in a Ranger uniform. Gaborik shouldn't be too far away from coming back as well.

the way i see it if it does bring this lockout to a end and they still get a 82 game season in it may be advantageous to the rangers and bought some time as far as gabby goes, and means they will be without him for less games then if the season started at the normal time.

just keeping my fingers crossed because i am lost without hockey.
i love football and the playoffs in baseball but life is just not normal for me without having my rangers to watch throughout the week.

All Star
Picture of RZ Bure
posted Hide Post
This is good news. I've been backing the owners during this whole thing.

Posts: 5509 | Registered: October 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bystander
Picture of slapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RZ Bure:

today, the day after, i don't know what to think now.
fehr is now moaning to the players that they will be giving up 1.5 billion over the length of the deal.
i guess if you want to include the 7% that they will be losing going from 57% to 50% then maybe but i don't know of any pro sport that gives more then 50% to the players.

if the players don't take this and run the owners will bag the season to spite them and the players will only have themselves to blame.

with all the talk of how bettman is causing harm to the league the same can be said for fehr.

Bystander
Picture of biz1006
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

fehr is now moaning to the players that they will be giving up 1.5 billion over the length of the deal.
i guess if you want to include the 7% that they will be losing going from 57% to 50% then maybe but i don't know of any pro sport that gives more then 50% to the players.

if the players don't take this and run the owners will bag the season to spite them and the players will only have themselves to blame.

with all the talk of how bettman is causing harm to the league the same can be said for fehr.

I think Fehr moaning and complaining is just part of the negotiation process. I mean, who really expected the NHLPA to accept the deal the next day. This offer represents a good deal of progress but there are still some things that need to be ironed out. I am optimistic that this will get done in the next week or two.

Posts: 1178 | Registered: May 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

All Star
Picture of RZ Bure
posted Hide Post
The nhlpa has been stating that they're doing this for not just themselves, but for future players. Lets see where their interests truly are.

Posts: 5509 | Registered: October 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Major Leagues
Picture of Serapheem
posted Hide Post
The players gave back 24% last lockout....and gave the owners the salary cap they wanted. Now that the owners have managed to screw up the system they wanted the players have to give up more $ to fix it??? No

this part I love
quote:
The proposal includes a "Make Whole" provision, to compensate players for the anticipated reduction in absolute dollars from last year (2011-12), to this year and next year. However, it would work like this. The Players Share in subsequent years would be reduced so that this "Make Whole" payment would be made. It is players paying players, not owners paying players. That is, players are "made whole" for reduced salaries in one year by reducing their salaries in later years.

And lets add a year before you can be a free agent.

And even better lets add a year before arbitration eligible

I don't see why the NHLPA would think this is a good deal. They give back money lost arbitration years and FA years and the Guarantee of this years current contract $ is their own freakin money!!!

This is a pure PR move by the league but with nothing in it that is good for the players.

And from a purely Rangers view... there is no way I want Redden's contract going against the cap which this newest proposal wants AHL contracts to count against the cap.

Posts: 4375 | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Major Leagues
posted Hide Post
Well...based on the NHLPA most recent counteroffer, it doesn't look like there'll be any Rangers hockey this year. Screw the players and Donald Fehr, those greedy $$cks. They can't stay in the same framework and negotiate? The owners certainly aren't innocent. Oh well, guess it'll be the NFL, then have to wait for baseball.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_...offers-step-backward

Posts: 2078 | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bystander
Picture of slapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biz1006:
quote:
quote:

I think Fehr moaning and complaining is just part of the negotiation process. I mean, who really expected the NHLPA to accept the deal the next day. This offer represents a good deal of progress but there are still some things that need to be ironed out. I am optimistic that this will get done in the next week or two.

the problem is i don't think there is any negotiations in the offer proposed by the owners.
that is what they are offering and if this deal is not taken it will officially start to cost games.

i never personally felt that the answer would be immediate from the nhlpa either but i just don't like the way fehr is coming out with that tude before it is even fully reviewed.

Major Leagues
Picture of Serapheem
posted Hide Post
Lets look at it this way.

You work for a company (NHL) and the board of directors (owners) has negotiated a deal with your workers union (players).
Years ago you were told that all your company's divisions (the teams) were in dire trouble and the company needed major consessions from you or there was a real chance your company would fold..not just some divisions going away. So you give back nearly a full quarter of your salary to save your company.

Now you've seen your company grow for the next 7 straight years since you gave back money to the company. Your company now makes $3.2 billion a year. Yet now you are told that there are some divisions that aren't doing so well. And the board is telling you that once again YOU have to give up money to save divisions that the board has mismanaged. Not only that you must also wait longer before you can move between divisions and make youself better money in the process. And you must also wait longer before you can go through the review process to make better money within the division you are beholden to.

And turning this wonderful proposition down makes the players the bad guys?

Posts: 4375 | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post