community.msgnetwork.com    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Sports Talk  Hop To Forums  NEW YORK RANGERS    who's greedy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

who's greedy Login/Join

Bystander
posted
my dad many years ago used to say (if its not broken it dont need fixing).the owners and players both made lots of money last year and keep it the way it is; now lets play hockey

Posts: 5 | Registered: February 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
General Manager
Picture of Double R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youngman:
my dad many years ago used to say (if its not broken it dont need fixing).the owners and players both made lots of money last year and keep it the way it is; now lets play hockey

You're preaching to the choir.

Posts: 6056 | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectator
Picture of NoMore1940
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youngman:

Many years ago: "If it ain't broke, it don't need fixing"

Now: "If it ain't broke, break it"

Posts: 5695 | Registered: December 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Star
Picture of luckysteve
posted Hide Post
I read a report today that said that while revenue for the league may be up, only about 9 teams actually turned a profit. We can probably blame a million different things for that, but if that is true, then the league IS broken. This truly ***.

Posts: 4878 | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Star
Picture of RZ Bure
posted Hide Post
Don't believe what you read. I truly believe that no sports team honestly loses money. These are successful businessmen running these teams and with revenue sharing, it's difficult for me to believe that these guys annually lose money. That said, it's time for he players to budge.

Posts: 5325 | Registered: October 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Major Leagues
Picture of Serapheem
posted Hide Post
accounting is a funny thing. Harry Potter lost money after making 1 billion... don't trust the numbers.

Posts: 4375 | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sports Fan
Picture of gravey
posted Hide Post
quote:
That said, it's time for he players to budge.

Yes, because we all know they won hand over fist the last time. The league every year were talking about how things have improved and attendance is up and so forth. But now, we can't go on with the current CBA. If it was working before what changed? If the league was hurting, why were small market teams signing players to big money and terms???

Players are not innocent, but owners made their bed and now they should lie in it. They offered the big contracts.

Cut teams, to me that is the one move that makes sense. But, Gary will not do it, as it would show they were at fault.

Posts: 655 | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Major Leagues
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gravey:
quote:

Yes, because we all know they won hand over fist the last time. The league every year were talking about how things have improved and attendance is up and so forth. But now, we can't go on with the current CBA. If it was working before what changed? If the league was hurting, why were small market teams signing players to big money and terms???

Players are not innocent, but owners made their bed and now they should lie in it. They offered the big contracts.

Cut teams, to me that is the one move that makes sense. But, Gary will not do it, as it would show they were at fault.

Bettman does what the owners tell him to do. They dont want to cut teams.
Neither does the players association because it will costs the players jobs

Posts: 1331 | Registered: January 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Major Leagues
Picture of Serapheem
posted Hide Post
They are looking to expand... look for a a second team outside Toronto.

Last lockout the owners said they had to have cost certainty and they got it. Players are right to expect the owners to share revenue... that works for the NFL... but they should also be getting closer to 50% of revenue than 60%. But who knows what exactly Hockey Related Revenue really is.

I am sure that players aren't thrilled that teams like the Rangers and Flyers, which are two of the biggest markets, are selling their TV rights on the cheap to their owning entities. HRR would be significantly higher if those 2 teams sold their TV rights at a legitimate level. And who knows how many more cut corners like that the owners have

Posts: 4375 | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectator
posted Hide Post
That's a great point Steve as Revenue needs to fluctuate through out the league, if you have that article or web address, please post it.

Posts: 374 | Registered: March 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

All Star
Picture of RZ Bure
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gravey:
quote:

I agree 100 percent about cutting teams, but that won't happen soon. To your point about he players winning hand over fist, I assume you're being facetious but in hindsight, they did win. Guys are making more money than ever, the good players are filthy rich, has anybody been treated unjustly in this sport??

Posts: 5325 | Registered: October 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bystander
Picture of biz1006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RZ Bure:

I agree 100 percent about cutting teams, but that won't happen soon. To your point about he players winning hand over fist, I assume you're being facetious but in hindsight, they did win. Guys are making more money than ever, the good players are filthy rich, has anybody been treated unjustly in this sport?

Only us fans.

Posts: 1149 | Registered: May 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sports Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biz1006:
quote:
Originally posted by RZ Bure:

I agree 100 percent about cutting teams, but that won't happen soon. To your point about he players winning hand over fist, I assume you're being facetious but in hindsight, they did win. Guys are making more money than ever, the good players are filthy rich, has anybody been treated unjustly in this sport?

Only us fans.

So true, hockey has the greatest and most passionate fans in the world. It's a shame that we are the ones that suffer while these *****s decide how to divide up millions upon millions of dollars, and the worst part is that Bettman and company could care less.

Posts: 451 | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sports Fan
posted Hide Post
When hockey does start I hope every chant, in every arena, to start every game is Fi-re Bett-man!!!! clap, clap, clap clap clap...... Ewww

Posts: 451 | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Major Leagues
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NYR112935:
When hockey does start I hope every chant, in every arena, to start every game is Fi-re Bett-man!!!! clap, clap, clap clap clap...... Ewww

Sorry but the owners will never fire Bettman. Having Fehr and his brother on the players side is going to make this drag on longer. Remember, Fehr is the one who almost ruined baseball

Posts: 1331 | Registered: January 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post